MEET YOUR INSTRUCTOR
Hi, I’m Juli. I’m the founder of Catch Budapest – an online community of 4,000+ Hungarian learners.
I’m a native Hungarian and discovered the passion for my language when my non-Hungarian partner (Flo) started to learn it in 2017.
Together with Flo, we’re constantly looking for new ways to make Hungarian accessible, enriching, and fun.
Our two other Hungarian Courses (the Smart Hungarian Audio Course & Smart Hungarian Short Stories Course) sold 1,000+ times.
I’ve tutored 20+ ambitious Hungarian learners at all levels. I helped them overcome all types of obstacles to reaching fluency.
Based on my experience as a tutor and Hungarian expert I’ll equip you with every tool and strategy to build a study routine that works. You’ll learn to focus on what’s essential to you, based on your level and needs.
I’ll explain to you all intricacies of the language, leaving no questions open.
Instead of spending months in figuring-it-out mode, I’ll help you become an extremely efficient self-taught learner and confident speaker.
My Blog Was Mentioned In:
I first encountered the problems non-natives face when Flo started to learn Hungarian.
This is how Catch Budapest and our Hungarian-learning community were born.
I send about 50,000 emails per month with a daily Hungarian word and at the bottom of most of them, I ask people to reply to us with their questions and challenges directly.
We hear from many amazing people who want to learn because they live in Hungary or want to discover their roots. Many also learn for the sake of family, love, or out of plain interest.
Mostly, it’s ordinary people like you who share their stories and are looking for a little help:
On the same day, we’d also get emails from people who used our material and finally experienced real progress in their learning:
Since 2017, my students and I faced plenty of challenges teaching and learning Hungarian.
- Most Hungarian language learners are highly motivated in the beginning. The real problems start once people achieve that basic level and feel “ready for the real world”.
- Many learners study without a plan – they download several apps and buy books but have difficulties figuring out what’s actually relevant to learn and know.
- The vocabulary seems out of this world at first. There are few similarities to other languages which makes it hard to remember words.
- Once you learned the words, it’s hard to recognize them in context and know which prefixes and suffixes to attach, when, and how.
- The Hungarian sentence structure leaves people so bewildered they often feel like they’ll never be able to form a correct sentence.
- Hungarian uses some sounds that don’t exist in English. This can make pronunciation a pain. Hungarians often misunderstand learners even if they remember and use the right words.
- Last but not least, learners have difficulties practicing their listening the right way which leaves them confused and frustrated whenever they try to follow an actual Hungarian conversation.
I feel you. Luckily, there’s hope. Through a lot of trial and error, together with my students and community, I figured out what makes an efficient Hungarian-learning process: