The prefix el- appears in front of numerous Hungarian verbs and enhances or even completely changes their meanings oftentimes.
A Few Words About Hungarian Prefixes
- All prefixes (except for meg-) have one core meaning assigned to them that changes the verb they interact with in a definite way, without altering its original meaning completely.
Apart from their core meaning, all prefixes can have several other impacts on the verbs they interact with. These other meanings either
- slightly modify, or enhance the original verb, or
- change the meaning of the original verb completely.
The Core Meaning of the Hungarian El-
In its most essential form, el- means away (to another place, from here to there, from one point to the other).
Other Impacts of the Hungarian Prefix El-
El- can transform a verb into several other forms, apart from its basic meaning as well. In close competition with meg- (which you can read about here) it’s the most versatile prefix prone to cause frequent headaches for Hungarian-learners.🤯
El- as a slight modifier or enhancer
1. El- Indicating closure
2. Spread or dispersion
3. Definiteness, something is final
4. Short duration
5. El- Indicating Origin
6. Inaccuracy, Incorrectness
7. El- indicating the stop of an ongoing action
8. Very, completely, in the most possible amount
9. El- Indicating that something goes on for an extended period
The Hungarian Prefix El- as a complete modifier
How to Practice Prefixes
Want to learn more Hungarian?