Siess, mert elkésünk!
Hurry up, or we’ll be late!
[Hurry-you(imp.), because late-will-we-come!]
Sietek, mert mindjárt megy a buszom.
I’ll hurry, because my bus is leaving soon.
[Hurry-I, because soon goes the bus-my.]
elsiet – to precipitate, to rush
halad – to progress, to speed, to advance
késik / elkésik – to be late / to come late
lekésik – to miss (e.g. a bus, an appointment)
rohan – to run in a hurry
sürgős – urgent
Not to be confused with:
síel – to ski
Did you like today’s word? Do you have a favourite memory hook for it or do you get it into your brain in a completely different way? Did we miss something in the explanation?
Share your thoughts, word visualizations or learning tips below in the comments and remember, the more you use a new word, the easier it will stick in your memory!
Wanna learn more?
- FREE Course: The Fast Lane to Understand Hungarian!
- Smart Hungarian Audio Course: Finally Understand Natural, Spoken Hungarian!
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Learn the Hungarian Present Tense (in 30 Minutes)
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Everything You Need to Know about “Meg”
- 23 Awesome Hungarian Words that Don’t Exist in English
- 35 Good Reasons You Should Bother Learning Hungarian
- Learn Hungarian Passively: 8 Ways to integrate Hungarian into your Everyday-Life
- Learn the Hungarian Numbers in 9 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)
- Learn the Hungarian Alphabet in 4 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)