mouse (also computer-mouse)
The name of the Hungarian city EGER has nothing to do with a mouse.
Inkább lennék egér, mint patkány.
I’d rather be a mouse than a rat.
[Rather would-be-I mouse, than rat.]
Az egereket gyakran használják kísérleti alanynak a kozmetikai cégek.
Mice are often subject to animal experimentation by cosmetical companies.
[The mice often use-they experimental subject-for the cosmetical companies.]
cincog – the “language” of mice: dogs bell (“ugat”) while mice “cincog”
macska / cica – cat
egérút – rat run / secret path
patkány – rat
Not to be confused with:
Eger – a Hungarian city 130km northeast of Budapest
egres – gooseberry (be careful: “egeres” would be “with mice” / “micey”)
Did you like today’s word? Do you have a favourite memory hook for it or do you get it into your brain in a completely different way? Did we miss something in the explanation?
Share your thoughts, word visualizations or learning tips below in the comments and remember, the more you use a new word, the easier it will stick in your memory!
Wanna learn more?
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Learn the Hungarian Present Tense (in 30 Minutes)
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Everything You Need to Know about “Meg”
- 23 Awesome Hungarian Words that Don’t Exist in English
- 35 Good Reasons You Should Bother Learning Hungarian
- Learn Hungarian Passively: 8 Ways to integrate Hungarian into your Everyday-Life
- Learn the Hungarian Numbers in 9 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)
- Learn the Hungarian Alphabet in 4 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)