to swear (i.e. to use swear words)
Sok ember azért káromkodik, hogy nyomatékosítsa a mondandóját.
Many people swear in order to emphasize their statement.
[Many human therefore swears, that emphasize the thing-to-say-his.]
Magyarul különösen durván lehet káromkodni.
You can swear in a particularly rough way in Hungarian.
[Hungarian-as especially roughly possible to-swear.]
basszus – a sanitized swear word derived from “b*szd meg”, literally meaning “bass cleff”. Comparable to saying “fudge” instead of “f*ck”
csúnya szó – bad word
csúnyán beszél – to speak in an ugly way, to use lots of swear words
elhord (valakit / valamit) – to disparage (so. / sth.)
kár – damage (n.)
káromkodik, mint egy kocsis – „to swear like a coachman”, to swear a lot, in an ugly way
káromol / átkoz (valakit / valamit) – to curse (so. / sth.)
Did you like today’s word? Do you have a favourite memory hook for it or do you get it into your brain in a completely different way? Did we miss something in the explanation?
Share your thoughts, word visualizations or learning tips below in the comments and remember, the more you use a new word, the easier it will stick in your memory!
Wanna learn more?
- FREE Course: The Fast Lane to Understand Hungarian!
- Smart Hungarian Audio Course: Finally Understand Natural, Spoken Hungarian!
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Learn the Hungarian Present Tense (in 30 Minutes)
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Everything You Need to Know about “Meg”
- 23 Awesome Hungarian Words that Don’t Exist in English
- 35 Good Reasons You Should Bother Learning Hungarian
- Learn Hungarian Passively: 8 Ways to integrate Hungarian into your Everyday-Life
- Learn the Hungarian Numbers in 9 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)
- Learn the Hungarian Alphabet in 4 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)