to regret, to be sorry for sth.
Nagyon megbántam amit tegnap mondtam.
I really regret what I’ve said yesterday.
[Very regret-I what yesterday said-I.]
Semmit ne bánj meg az életben!
Live your life without regretting anything!
[Nothing(acc.) not regret-you(imp.) the life-in!]
fájdalom – pain
hiba – mistake
kár – damage
megbánás – regret (n.)
megbocsát – to forgive
sajnál – to feel sorry
visszacsinál – to reverse sth. (literally: to back-do)
visszavon – to take sth. back (verbally)
Not to be confused with:
bánik – to treat (so. / sth. in a good or bad way)
Did you like today’s word? Do you have a favourite memory hook for it or do you get it into your brain in a completely different way? Did we miss something in the explanation?
Share your thoughts, word visualizations or learning tips below in the comments and remember, the more you use a new word, the easier it will stick in your memory!
Wanna learn more?
- FREE Course: The Fast Lane to Understand Hungarian!
- Smart Hungarian Audio Course: Finally Understand Natural, Spoken Hungarian!
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Learn the Hungarian Present Tense (in 30 Minutes)
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Everything You Need to Know about “Meg”
- 23 Awesome Hungarian Words that Don’t Exist in English
- 35 Good Reasons You Should Bother Learning Hungarian
- Learn Hungarian Passively: 8 Ways to integrate Hungarian into your Everyday-Life
- Learn the Hungarian Numbers in 9 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)
- Learn the Hungarian Alphabet in 4 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)