string, yarn, thread
Ebből a nadrágból már kilógnak a fonalak.
The yearns are already sticking out of these trousers.
[This-out-of the trousers-from already stick-out the yarns.]
Elvesztettem a fonalat.
I lost the thread. (figurative)
[Lost-I the thread.]
madzag – synonym to “fonal”, but not in a figurative sense (i.e. You cannot lose the “madzag” in a conversation.)
cérna – yarn, sewing cotton
kötél – rope, cord
köt – to tie, to knit
varr – to sew
vonal – line
Did you like today’s word? Do you have a favourite memory hook for it or do you get it into your brain in a completely different way? Did we miss something in the explanation?
Share your thoughts, word visualizations or learning tips below in the comments and remember, the more you use a new word, the easier it will stick in your memory!
Wanna learn more?
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Learn the Hungarian Present Tense (in 30 Minutes)
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Everything You Need to Know about “Meg”
- 23 Awesome Hungarian Words that Don’t Exist in English
- 35 Good Reasons You Should Bother Learning Hungarian
- Learn Hungarian Passively: 8 Ways to integrate Hungarian into your Everyday-Life
- Learn the Hungarian Numbers in 9 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)
- Learn the Hungarian Alphabet in 4 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!