to order, to give orders, to command, to dictate, to tell so. to do sth.
Egy tanárnak nem az a dolga, hogy parancsoljon, hanem hogy tanítson és segítsen.
The job of a teacher is not to give orders, but to teach and help.
[A teacher-for not that the work, that order-should(imp.), but that teach-should(imp.) and help-should(imp.).]
A főnököm nem irányít, hanem parancsol.
My boss is not leading me, but commanding me around.
[The boss-my not leads, but commands.]
büntet – to punish
irányít – to lead
kérés – request, plea, appeal
parancs – order, command (n.)
tízparancsolat – Ten Commandments
Did you like today’s word? Do you have a favourite memory hook for it or do you get it into your brain in a completely different way? Did we miss something in the explanation?
Share your thoughts, word visualizations or learning tips below in the comments and remember, the more you use a new word, the easier it will stick in your memory!
Wanna learn more?
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Learn the Hungarian Present Tense (in 30 Minutes)
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Everything You Need to Know about “Meg”
- 23 Awesome Hungarian Words that Don’t Exist in English
- 35 Good Reasons You Should Bother Learning Hungarian
- Learn Hungarian Passively: 8 Ways to integrate Hungarian into your Everyday-Life
- Learn the Hungarian Numbers in 9 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)
- Learn the Hungarian Alphabet in 4 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)