coast, shore, bank
Lassú víz partot mos.
Slow waters wash the bank. – The Hungarian equivalent of “Rome wasn’t built in a day.”
[Slow water bank(acc.) washes.]
Soha nem úszom messze a parttól.
I never swim too far away from the shore.
[Never not swim-I far the shore-from.]
rakpart – wharf, quay, pier (the whole Danube riverbank of Budapest is referred to as “rakpart”.)
strand – beach
folyópart – riverbank
tengerpart – seaside
Not to be confused with:
party – party (fun)
párt – political party, pair(acc.), couple(acc.)
pert – (legal) case(acc.)
port – dust(acc.)
kapart – scratched (past tense of “to scratch” – “kapar”)
Did you like today’s word? Do you have a favourite memory hook for it or do you get it into your brain in a completely different way? Did we miss something in the explanation?
Share your thoughts, word visualizations or learning tips below in the comments and remember, the more you use a new word, the easier it will stick in your memory!
Wanna learn more?
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Learn the Hungarian Present Tense (in 30 Minutes)
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Everything You Need to Know about “Meg”
- 23 Awesome Hungarian Words that Don’t Exist in English
- 35 Good Reasons You Should Bother Learning Hungarian
- Learn Hungarian Passively: 8 Ways to integrate Hungarian into your Everyday-Life
- Learn the Hungarian Numbers in 9 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)
- Learn the Hungarian Alphabet in 4 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)