to smell (actively)
SMÉAGOL (aka Gollum from The Lord of the Rings) has a good sense of smell.
Alulról szagolja az ibolyát.
He smells the violets from below (the ground). (I.e. He / She is dead. – Hungarian saying)
[Below-from smells the violet(acc.).]
Szagold meg a joghurtot, hogy még jó-e.
Smell the yoghurt in order to see if it’s still good.
[Smell-you [“meg” in this case means “quickly”, “for a short time”] the yoghurt(acc.), that still good-is.]
szimatol – to sniff / to snuffle
érez – to smell (passively) (but also: to feel)
illatos / illatozik – good-smelling / to smell good
büdös / bűzlik – smelly / to stink
Did you like today’s word? Do you have a favourite memory hook for it or do you get it into your brain in a completely different way? Did we miss something in the explanation?
Share your thoughts, word visualizations or learning tips below in the comments and remember, the more you use a new word, the easier it will stick in your memory!
Wanna learn more?
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Learn the Hungarian Present Tense (in 30 Minutes)
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Everything You Need to Know about “Meg”
- 23 Awesome Hungarian Words that Don’t Exist in English
- 35 Good Reasons You Should Bother Learning Hungarian
- Learn Hungarian Passively: 8 Ways to integrate Hungarian into your Everyday-Life
- Learn the Hungarian Numbers in 9 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)
- Learn the Hungarian Alphabet in 4 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)