but also: to be an option (see example sentence nr. 2 below) – colloquial
Kivételesen játszhatnánk valami társast este.
We could play some boardgames in the evening for a change.
[For-a-change play-could-we some board-game(acc.) evening.]
Nekem a hétvége nem játszik, mert elutazom.
The weekend is not an option for me because I’ll be gone then.
[For-me the weekend not play, because away-travel-I.]
játék – game
játékszer – toy
társas(játék) – board game – literally: with companion (társ: companion)
társasozik – to play boardgames
Did you like today’s word? Do you have a favourite memory hook for it or do you get it into your brain in a completely different way? Did we miss something in the explanation?
Share your thoughts, word visualizations or learning tips below in the comments and remember, the more you use a new word, the easier it will stick in your memory!
Wanna learn more?
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Learn the Hungarian Present Tense (in 30 Minutes)
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Everything You Need to Know about “Meg”
- 23 Awesome Hungarian Words that Don’t Exist in English
- 35 Good Reasons You Should Bother Learning Hungarian
- Learn Hungarian Passively: 8 Ways to integrate Hungarian into your Everyday-Life
- Learn the Hungarian Numbers in 9 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)
- Learn the Hungarian Alphabet in 4 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)