Inkább főzök, minthogy étteremben egyek.
I rather cook than eat in a restaurant.
[Rather cook-I, than restaurant-in eat-I(imp.)]
Ha a szüleim eljönnek a városba, általában elmegyünk egy étterembe.
When my parents come into the city, we usually go to a restaurant.
[If the parents-my away-come the city-in usually away-go-we a restaurant-in.]
előkelő – elegant, fancy, upscale
gyorsétterem – fast food restaurant
gyorskaja – fast food
eszik – to eat
iszik – to drink
kajálda – a place to grab food (colloq. term for things similar to what we’d call “eatery” in English)
kajál – to eat (widely used colloq. term)
eszik – to eat (official term)
vendéglő – synonym to restaurant, slightly obsolete
terem – big room
exotikus – exotic
minőség – quality
ételmérgezés – food poisoning
Did you like today’s word? Do you have a favourite memory hook for it or do you get it into your brain in a completely different way? Did we miss something in the explanation?
Share your thoughts, word visualizations or learning tips below in the comments and remember, the more you use a new word, the easier it will stick in your memory!
Wanna learn more?
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Learn the Hungarian Present Tense (in 30 Minutes)
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Everything You Need to Know about “Meg”
- 23 Awesome Hungarian Words that Don’t Exist in English
- 35 Good Reasons You Should Bother Learning Hungarian
- Learn Hungarian Passively: 8 Ways to integrate Hungarian into your Everyday-Life
- Learn the Hungarian Numbers in 9 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)
- Learn the Hungarian Alphabet in 4 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)