Egy hosszú szakáll is lehet szép, ha gondozott.
A long beard can look really nice if it’s well-kept.
[A long beard too can-be nice, if well-kept.]
Ez a vicc már szakállas.
This joke already has a beard. (I.e. This is a very old joke. – Hungarian idiom)
[This the joke already beardy.]
bajusz – mustache
szőr – fur, body hair
haj – hair
pajesz – sideburns
borbély – barber
fodrász – hair dresser
borotva / borotvál – razor / to shave
Did you like today’s word? Do you have a favourite memory hook for it or do you get it into your brain in a completely different way? Did we miss something in the explanation?
Share your thoughts, word visualizations or learning tips below in the comments and remember, the more you use a new word, the easier it will stick in your memory!
Wanna learn more?
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Learn the Hungarian Present Tense (in 30 Minutes)
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Everything You Need to Know about “Meg”
- 23 Awesome Hungarian Words that Don’t Exist in English
- 35 Good Reasons You Should Bother Learning Hungarian
- Learn Hungarian Passively: 8 Ways to integrate Hungarian into your Everyday-Life
- Learn the Hungarian Numbers in 9 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)
- Learn the Hungarian Alphabet in 4 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)