to be scared, to be afraid
Nem félek az élettől.
I am not afraid to live.
[Not am-afraid the life-from.]
Nincs mitől félni.
There’s nothing to be scared of.
[Not exists what-from be-scared.]
Fél óra múlva találkozunk.
We’re meeting in half an hour.
[Half hour in meet-we.]
félős – worrying (person)
reszket – to shudder
libabőr – goosebumps
pánikol – to panick
rettegés – dread (n.)
félig – semi-
parázik – a more colloquial word for “fél”, also used for worrying
Not to be confused with:
fel – up
Did you like today’s word? Do you have a favourite memory hook for it or do you get it into your brain in a completely different way? Did we miss something in the explanation?
Share your thoughts, word visualizations or learning tips below in the comments and remember, the more you use a new word, the easier it will stick in your memory!
Wanna learn more?
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Learn the Hungarian Present Tense (in 30 Minutes)
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Everything You Need to Know about “Meg”
- 23 Awesome Hungarian Words that Don’t Exist in English
- 35 Good Reasons You Should Bother Learning Hungarian
- Learn Hungarian Passively: 8 Ways to integrate Hungarian into your Everyday-Life
- Learn the Hungarian Numbers in 9 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)
- Learn the Hungarian Alphabet in 4 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)