FOR the meeting I had to go through the traffic in sLALOM.
Budapest sokkal élhetőbb lenne, ha nem lenne ekkora forgalom.
Budapest would be a lot more livable if there weren’t so much traffic.
[Budapest lot-with more-livable, if not would-be that-big traffic.]
Nem merek nagy forgalomban vezetni.
I don’t dare to drive in big traffic.
[Not dare-I big traffic-in drive.]
autó – car
dugó – traffic jam (but also: (wine) cork, plug)
autópálya – highway
csúcsforgalom – rush hour (literally: peak-traffic)
Not to be confused with:
fogalom – term, notion
fogadalom – good intention, oath
Did you like today’s word? Do you have a favourite memory hook for it or do you get it into your brain in a completely different way? Did we miss something in the explanation?
Share your thoughts, word visualizations or learning tips below in the comments and remember, the more you use a new word, the easier it will stick in your memory!
Wanna learn more?
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Learn the Hungarian Present Tense (in 30 Minutes)
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Everything You Need to Know about “Meg”
- 23 Awesome Hungarian Words that Don’t Exist in English
- 35 Good Reasons You Should Bother Learning Hungarian
- Learn Hungarian Passively: 8 Ways to integrate Hungarian into your Everyday-Life
- Learn the Hungarian Numbers in 9 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)
- Learn the Hungarian Alphabet in 4 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)