A halottak nem beszélnek.
The dead don’t talk.
[The deads not talk-they.]
A halottak száma folyamatosan növekszik.
The number of dead people is growing constantly. (Frequent statement in the TV or radio after some kind of disaster or catastrophe.)
[The deads number-of frequently grows.]
meghal – to die
temető – cemetery
haldoklik – to be in the process of dying
túlvilág – afterlife / otherworld
mennyország – heaven
pokol – hell
feltámad – to resurrect
zombi – zombie
halhatatlan – immortal
halandó – mortal
Not to be confused with:
hallott – heard
hal – fish
hall – to hear
Did you like today’s word? Do you have a favourite memory hook for it or do you get it into your brain in a completely different way? Did we miss something in the explanation?
Share your thoughts, word visualizations or learning tips below in the comments and remember, the more you use a new word, the easier it will stick in your memory!
Wanna learn more?
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Learn the Hungarian Present Tense (in 30 Minutes)
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Everything You Need to Know about “Meg”
- 23 Awesome Hungarian Words that Don’t Exist in English
- 35 Good Reasons You Should Bother Learning Hungarian
- Learn Hungarian Passively: 8 Ways to integrate Hungarian into your Everyday-Life
- Learn the Hungarian Numbers in 9 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)
- Learn the Hungarian Alphabet in 4 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)