to call (also on the phone)
Hívom Annát is, hátha eljön.
Call-I Anna(acc.) too, maybe away-comes-she.
I’ll call Anna too, maybe she will come.
Holnap hívlak és megbeszéljük.
Tomorrow call-I-you and talk-through-it-we.
I’ll call you tomorrow and we’ll discuss this.
elhív – to call someone so that he or she comes along
felhív – to dial up
felszólít – to invoke, to call on so.
hivatás – vocation
hívatlan – uninvited
hívás – call (on the phone)
kihív – to challenge sb. / sth.
kihívás – challenge (n.)
meghív – to invite, also: to treat (e.g. for a drink)
szól valakinek – to let so. know (about sth.)
Did you like today’s word? Do you have a favourite memory hook for it or do you get it into your brain in a completely different way? Did we miss something in the explanation?
Share your thoughts, word visualizations or learning tips below in the comments and remember, the more you use a new word, the easier it will stick in your memory!
Wanna learn more?
- How to Learn Hungarian – The Ultimate Guide
- FREE Course: The Fast Lane to Understand Hungarian!
- Smart Hungarian Audio Course: Finally Understand Natural, Spoken Hungarian!
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: The 10 Most Important Hungarian Verbs (and how to Use them)
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Learn the Hungarian Present Tense (in 30 Minutes)
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Everything You Need to Know about “Meg”
- 23 Awesome Hungarian Words that Don’t Exist in English
- 35 Good Reasons You Should Bother Learning Hungarian
- Learn Hungarian Passively: 8 Ways to integrate Hungarian into your Everyday-Life
- Learn the Hungarian Numbers in 9 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)
- Learn the Hungarian Alphabet in 4 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)