I am not EAGER to give this promise.
Nem ígérem, hogy holnap este is el tudok jönni.
I won’t promise that I’ll be there tomorrow night as well.
[Not promise-I that tomorrow night too there can-I come.]
Az ígéret szép szó, ha betartják úgy jó.
“Promise” is a nice word that’s best when kept. (Hungarian saying)
[The promise nice word, if in-keep-they that-way good.]
ígéret – promise (n.)
megígér – to make a promise (more “final” than just ígér)
ígérget – to keep making promises without actually keeping them
esküszik – to swear
hazugság / hazudik – lie / to lie (i.e. to tell the untruth)
hazug – liar, false (i.e. dishonest)
megbízható / megbízhatatlan – reliable / unreliable
Not to be confused with:
egér – mouse
Did you like today’s word? Do you have a favourite memory hook for it or do you get it into your brain in a completely different way? Did we miss something in the explanation?
Share your thoughts, word visualizations or learning tips below in the comments and remember, the more you use a new word, the easier it will stick in your memory!
Wanna learn more?
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Learn the Hungarian Present Tense (in 30 Minutes)
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Everything You Need to Know about “Meg”
- 23 Awesome Hungarian Words that Don’t Exist in English
- 35 Good Reasons You Should Bother Learning Hungarian
- Learn Hungarian Passively: 8 Ways to integrate Hungarian into your Everyday-Life
- Learn the Hungarian Numbers in 9 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)
- Learn the Hungarian Alphabet in 4 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)