exception (literally: out-take, to take sth. out (from the regular order that things go)
Sajnálom, de nem tehetek kivételt.
Sorry, but I can’t make an exception.
[Sorry-am-I, but not make-allowed-I exception(acc.)..]
A kivétel erősíti a szabályt.
The exception proves the rule.
[The exception strengthens the rule(acc.).]
eltér (valamitől) – to deviate (from sth.)
kivételesen – for a change, exceptionally, just for once
szokás – habit
szokatlan – unusual
Did you like today’s word? Do you have a favourite memory hook for it or do you get it into your brain in a completely different way? Did we miss something in the explanation?
Share your thoughts, word visualizations or learning tips below in the comments and remember, the more you use a new word, the easier it will stick in your memory!
Wanna learn more?
- FREE Course: The Fast Lane to Understand Hungarian!
- Smart Hungarian Audio Course: Finally Understand Natural, Spoken Hungarian!
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Learn the Hungarian Present Tense (in 30 Minutes)
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Everything You Need to Know about “Meg”
- 23 Awesome Hungarian Words that Don’t Exist in English
- 35 Good Reasons You Should Bother Learning Hungarian
- Learn Hungarian Passively: 8 Ways to integrate Hungarian into your Everyday-Life
- Learn the Hungarian Numbers in 9 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)
- Learn the Hungarian Alphabet in 4 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)