A kovászos uborka egy tipikus magyar köret.
Pickled cucumbers are a typical Hungarian side dish.
[The pickled cucumber a typical Hungarian side-dish.]
A sültkrumpli önmagában is jó, nem csak köretnek.
French fries are good as they are, not just as a side dish.
[The fried-potato itself-in also good, not only side-dish-for.]
desszert – dessert
előétel – starter, appetizer
főétel – main dish
kovászos uborka – pickled cucumbers
krumpli – potato
rizs – rice
savanyúkáposzta – sauerkraut
savanyúság – pickles (literally: the sour stuff)
sültkrumpli – French fries
krumplipüré – mashed potatos
Not to be confused with:
keret – frame
Did you like today’s word? Do you have a favourite memory hook for it or do you get it into your brain in a completely different way? Did we miss something in the explanation?
Share your thoughts, word visualizations or learning tips below in the comments and remember, the more you use a new word, the easier it will stick in your memory!
Wanna learn more?
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Learn the Hungarian Present Tense (in 30 Minutes)
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Everything You Need to Know about “Meg”
- 23 Awesome Hungarian Words that Don’t Exist in English
- 35 Good Reasons You Should Bother Learning Hungarian
- Learn Hungarian Passively: 8 Ways to integrate Hungarian into your Everyday-Life
- Learn the Hungarian Numbers in 9 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)
- Learn the Hungarian Alphabet in 4 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)