Nagyon félek a pókoktól és a kígyóktól.
I’m really afraid of spiders and snakes.
[Very scared-am-I the spiders-from and the snakes-from.]
A legtöbb pók ártalmatlan.
Most spiders are harmless.
[The most spider harmless.]
ártalmatlan – harmless
bogár – bug
kígyó – snake
mérgező – poisonous, toxic
rovar – insect
Pókember – Spider Man
pókháló – cobweb, spiderweb
“Vízipók Csodapók” (i.e. Water-Spider Wonder-Spider) was a very popular Hungarian childrens’ series airing in the 70s and the 80s that remains really iconic until today.
You can watch a whole episode or just have a glimpse here:
Did you like today’s word? Do you have a favourite memory hook for it or do you get it into your brain in a completely different way? Did we miss something in the explanation?
Share your thoughts, word visualizations or learning tips below in the comments and remember, the more you use a new word, the easier it will stick in your memory!
Wanna learn more?
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Learn the Hungarian Present Tense (in 30 Minutes)
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Everything You Need to Know about “Meg”
- 23 Awesome Hungarian Words that Don’t Exist in English
- 35 Good Reasons You Should Bother Learning Hungarian
- Learn Hungarian Passively: 8 Ways to integrate Hungarian into your Everyday-Life
- Learn the Hungarian Numbers in 9 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)
- Learn the Hungarian Alphabet in 4 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)