apart, extra, separate
Nem akarok tőled külön lenni soha többé.
I never ever want to be apart form you.
[Not want-I from-you apart be never more.]
Külön meghívót küldtem mindenkinek.
I sent everyone a separate invitation.
[Separate invitation sent-I everyone-for.]
kül- – prefix, meaning “outside”, “external”: kültér: outside area, külváros: suburb, külkereskedelem: external trade
különül – to separate oneself —> not to be confused with “külön ül” – to sit separately
különc – an odd person
különcködik – to behave in an extravagant, contrary way
különben – otherwise, apart from that
külön-külön – separately, individually
Did you like today’s word? Do you have a favourite memory hook for it or do you get it into your brain in a completely different way? Did we miss something in the explanation?
Share your thoughts, word visualizations or learning tips below in the comments and remember, the more you use a new word, the easier it will stick in your memory!
Wanna learn more?
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Learn the Hungarian Present Tense (in 30 Minutes)
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Everything You Need to Know about “Meg”
- 23 Awesome Hungarian Words that Don’t Exist in English
- 35 Good Reasons You Should Bother Learning Hungarian
- Learn Hungarian Passively: 8 Ways to integrate Hungarian into your Everyday-Life
- Learn the Hungarian Numbers in 9 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)
- Learn the Hungarian Alphabet in 4 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)