We all know the saying that happiness comes from the little things. Budapest has plenty of these to offer and once you learn to pay attention to them, you’ll notice how little batches of joy will enter your everyday life.
The next time when you’re commuting, hurrying or otherwise making your stressful way through the city, try to give happiness a chance. Slow down and appreciate these tiny adorable things about Budapest that we just too often take for granted.
1. The Colourful, Artsy and Super-Creative Firewalls that are Scattered all across the Inner Districts
If you want to know more about the whereabouts of these great pieces of art, check out the probably most comprehensive street art map of Budapest here.
2. Those Beautiful Tiles in the old Apartment Buildings
Psst! This awesome Insta-account will show you a lot more of them!
3. And these Monumental Doors that Are just way too Gorgeous
4. The Little (and not so Little) Remnants of Socialism that are ever so Present
MÁV ÉSZAKI JJ (járműjavító) #máv #railway #repair #budapest #retro #budapestretro #streetphotography #iphonephotography #bp #nostalgia #nostalgic #nosztalgia #street #europe #easterneurope #hungary #welovebudapest #thisisbudapest #sign #signs #retrosign #old #mik #facade #nosztalgia #nostalgy #tipoftheday #tipografia #tipo #tipography #ikozosseg
Ugly but lovely!
5. These Phone Booths that Might Soon Disappear and that we Appreciate just Way too Little
Explore the Authentic Side of Budapest!
Our guidebook will help you peel back the multiple layers of Budapest one by one. It’ll help you see Budapest the way it’s meant to be seen.
It’s written for conscious travellers and locals. For those who are looking for more than just a glimpse at the main tourist attractions.
For those who want to not only see, but also feel the city and experience how it lives, plays, works, eats, drinks and functions.
It features countless little gems for you to discover while strolling the city streets – be it a hidden courtyard, a secret bar, a colourful garden, an offbeat flea market, or a stunning piece of street art.
6. The Adorable Grandmas and Grandpas
7. Those Old Yellow Trams – May They Stay with us Forever!
ℹ️ Info: 1369 Ganz CSMG2 ipari csuklós; 🚋 Viszonylat | Linie: 2-es villamos / Linie 2; 🛤 Célállomás | Ziel: Jászai Mari tér ➡️ Közvágóhíd H; 📍 Helyzet | Ort: Kossuth Lajos tér M; 🏭: Üzemeltető | Betrieber: BKV Zrt. 📆: Dátum | Zeit: 2017.10.12. 📸: Nikon Coolpix P900; #️⃣ #Budapest #bkkbudapest #bkkpillanatok #bkv #bkvzrt #2esvillamos #Linie2 #GanzCSMG2 #iparicsuklós #V1369 #villamos #villamost #straßenbahn #tram #trampictures #streetcar #straßenbahnbilder #yellowtram #budapesttram #insta_tram #közösségiközlekedés #tömegközlekedés #öffentlicherverkehr #nahverkehr #publictransport #kötöttpálya #ig_budapest #mik #ikozosseg #instahun
Another insta-account we absolutely love, btw.
8. The Hyper-Motivated Ticket Inspectors at every Single Metro-Entrance
9. And how the Yellow Line has Probably the Quickest Passenger Handling of all Subways in the World
10. These Old, Red, Shiny Mailboxes we too often Pass without Noticing
11. And these Beautiful Inner Courtyards We Wouldn’t Trade for Anything
12. The Sophisticated Manhole Covers We Just Step on but Don’t Notice
13. And those 24/7-Shops (and their Staff!) that Simply never close – be it Christmas, NYE or the Holiest National Holiday
14. The little Angels and other Ornaments Decorating the Old Apartment Buildings
15. And these Open-Air and Almost-Free Bookshelves that Delight even our Worst Days
amazing, (almost) free bookshelf📚 • bookworms' little piece of heaven in front of Szabò Ervin Library • loving these initiatives, as well as this area of BP – whole Múzeum krt is full with books that are simply a bargain! • Any other book-collectors out there? What shall we read next (Hungarian authors preferred)?👇🏼🙏🏼
16. How You’ll Have to Pay Your Invoices Like the Digital Revolution Did not yet Happen
17. All Those Old Shop Signs
18. These Cracks that were Turned into Colourful Pieces of Art
19. And Finally… Those 24/7 Flower-Stands that Brighten Up Even Our Worst Days
Do you have more? What will brighten up your days in Budapest this year? Let us know below in the comments!