to take a vacation / to have a holiday
NYAR => summer (—> “nyaral” literally means “to summer”)
Egy jó nyaraláshoz nem kell messzire menni.
You don’t have to travel far to have a great vacation.
[A good vacation-to not must far-on go.]
Olyan régen voltam nyaralni, hogy már nem is tudom, milyen érzés.
I haven’t gone on a vacation for so long that I don’t even know anymore, what it feels like.
[So long-ago was-I vacationing, that anymore not even know-I, what-kind-of feeling.]
nyár – summer (—> “nyaral” literally means “to summer”)
nyaralás – vacation
vakáció – another word for vacation
szabadság – holiday (from work) (also: freedom)
utazás – travel (n.)
Not to be confused with:
nyargal – to run really fast (mostly used in connotation with horses)
Did you like today’s word? Do you have a favourite memory hook for it or do you get it into your brain in a completely different way? Did we miss something in the explanation?
Share your thoughts, word visualizations or learning tips below in the comments and remember, the more you use a new word, the easier it will stick in your memory!
Wanna learn more?
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Learn the Hungarian Present Tense (in 30 Minutes)
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Everything You Need to Know about “Meg”
- 23 Awesome Hungarian Words that Don’t Exist in English
- 35 Good Reasons You Should Bother Learning Hungarian
- Learn Hungarian Passively: 8 Ways to integrate Hungarian into your Everyday-Life
- Learn the Hungarian Numbers in 9 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)
- Learn the Hungarian Alphabet in 4 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)