to get sunburnt
to burn down
to get embarrassed (in public)
le = down
ég = burn
I got sunburnt on my LEG.
Vigyázz, hogy ne égj le, mert a bőr nem felejt.
Be careful to not get sunburnt, because the skin never forgets.
[Careful-be, that not burn down, because the skin not forget.]
Nagyon leégtem, mert elfelejtettem az előadásom szövegét.
I got really embarrassed because I forgot the text of my presentation.
[Very embarrassed-got-I, because forgot-I the presentation-my text-of.]
ég – to burn
kiég – to burn out
megég – to get burnt (e.g. while cooking)
elég – to burn away (e.g. wood in a fire); but also: enough
Did you like today’s word? Do you have a favourite memory hook for it or do you get it into your brain in a completely different way? Did we miss something in the explanation?
Share your thoughts, word visualizations or learning tips below in the comments and remember, the more you use a new word, the easier it will stick in your memory!
Wanna learn more?
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Learn the Hungarian Present Tense (in 30 Minutes)
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Everything You Need to Know about “Meg”
- 23 Awesome Hungarian Words that Don’t Exist in English
- 35 Good Reasons You Should Bother Learning Hungarian
- Learn Hungarian Passively: 8 Ways to integrate Hungarian into your Everyday-Life
- Learn the Hungarian Numbers in 9 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)
- Learn the Hungarian Alphabet in 4 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)