Yes MADAME, we are almost there.
majd = soon
nem = not
—> majdnem literally translates to something like “close to not” / “soon not”
Majdnem elkéstem egy fontos meetingről tegnap.
I almost missed an important meeting yesterday.
[Almost late-was-I one important meeting-from yesterday.]
Majdnem szakítottunk, de végül megbeszéltük a problémáinkat.
We almost broke up but in the end we managed to talk our problems through.
[Almost tore-we, but in-the-end talked-through the problems-ours.]
kishíján – synonym to “majdnem”
Did you like today’s word? Do you have a favourite memory hook for it or do you get it into your brain in a completely different way? Did we miss something in the explanation?
Share your thoughts, word visualizations or learning tips below in the comments and remember, the more you use a new word, the easier it will stick in your memory!
Wanna learn more?
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Learn the Hungarian Present Tense (in 30 Minutes)
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Everything You Need to Know about “Meg”
- 23 Awesome Hungarian Words that Don’t Exist in English
- 35 Good Reasons You Should Bother Learning Hungarian
- Learn Hungarian Passively: 8 Ways to integrate Hungarian into your Everyday-Life
- Learn the Hungarian Numbers in 9 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)
- Learn the Hungarian Alphabet in 4 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)