weight (also in a figurative sense)
Nincs nagy súlya a bőröndömnek.
My suitcase doesn’t weigh a lot [is light].
[Not-exists big weight-of-it the suitcase-my-to.]
Ennek a vizsgának súlya van.
This exam is really important.
[This-to the exam-to weight-of exists.]
súlyoz – to ponder
súlyzó – barbell & dumbbell
mér – to weigh (but also: to measure)
mérleg – weighing scale
gyúr – to work out (but also: to knead)
nehéz – heavy (but also: difficult)
könnyű – light (but also: easy)
Did you like today’s word? Do you have a favourite memory hook for it or do you get it into your brain in a completely different way? Did we miss something in the explanation?
Share your thoughts, word visualizations or learning tips below in the comments and remember, the more you use a new word, the easier it will stick in your memory!
Wanna learn more?
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Learn the Hungarian Present Tense (in 30 Minutes)
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Everything You Need to Know about “Meg”
- 23 Awesome Hungarian Words that Don’t Exist in English
- 35 Good Reasons You Should Bother Learning Hungarian
- Learn Hungarian Passively: 8 Ways to integrate Hungarian into your Everyday-Life
- Learn the Hungarian Numbers in 9 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)
- Learn the Hungarian Alphabet in 4 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)