garbage, waste (n.), also used for bin
also: adj. used for someone who is mean, nasty, malicious (slang)
Szombat és vasárnap reggel néha nagyon sok szemét van Budapest utcáin.
Saturday and Sunday morning sometimes very much garbage(acc.) exists Budapest streets-its-on.
On Saturday and Sunday mornings sometimes there is a lot of garbage on Budapest’s streets.
Anna annyira szemét; állandóan kihasználja az embereket.
Anna so-much malicious; constantly takes-advantage-of the people(acc.).
Anna is so malicious; she constantly takes advantage of people.
hulladék – another (more official) word for garbage
kosz, mocsok – dirt
kidob – to throw out (into the bin)
kuka – bin
műanyag – plastic
pazarol – to waste
szelektív hulladékgyűjtés – waste separation
szemetel – to throw garbage somewhere where it doesn’t belong (the street, etc.)
szemetes – another word for bin
bánt valakit – to hurt someone
gonosz – evil
rosszindulatú – adj. for someone with bad intentions
Did you like today’s word? Do you have a favourite memory hook for it or do you get it into your brain in a completely different way? Did we miss something in the explanation?
Share your thoughts, word visualizations or learning tips below in the comments and remember, the more you use a new word, the easier it will stick in your memory!
Wanna learn more?
- FREE Course: The Fast Lane to Understand Hungarian!
- Smart Hungarian Audio Course: Finally Understand Natural, Spoken Hungarian!
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Learn the Hungarian Present Tense (in 30 Minutes)
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Everything You Need to Know about “Meg”
- 23 Awesome Hungarian Words that Don’t Exist in English
- 35 Good Reasons You Should Bother Learning Hungarian
- Learn Hungarian Passively: 8 Ways to integrate Hungarian into your Everyday-Life
- Learn the Hungarian Numbers in 9 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)
- Learn the Hungarian Alphabet in 4 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)