Állandóan összetörnek a borospoharaim.
Constantly together-break-they the wine-glasses-my.
My wine glasses frequently break.
Ha törik, ha szakad, el fogok innen költözni,
If breaks, if tears, away will-I from-here to-move.
I will move away from here by any means.
cserép – shard
ragaszt – to glue
tönkremegy – to bust, to break (i.e. to become unusable)
szakad – to tear
ha törik, ha szakad – by all means, by any means (Hungarian saying – lit.: even if it breaks of tears)
Not to be confused with:
töri – colloq. abbreviation of “történelem” – history (subject in school)
Did you like today’s word? Do you have a favourite memory hook for it or do you get it into your brain in a completely different way? Did we miss something in the explanation?
Share your thoughts, word visualizations or learning tips below in the comments and remember, the more you use a new word, the easier it will stick in your memory!
Wanna learn more?
- FREE Course: The Fast Lane to Understand Hungarian!
- Smart Hungarian Audio Course: Finally Understand Natural, Spoken Hungarian!
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Learn the Hungarian Present Tense (in 30 Minutes)
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Everything You Need to Know about “Meg”
- 23 Awesome Hungarian Words that Don’t Exist in English
- 35 Good Reasons You Should Bother Learning Hungarian
- Learn Hungarian Passively: 8 Ways to integrate Hungarian into your Everyday-Life
- Learn the Hungarian Numbers in 9 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)
- Learn the Hungarian Alphabet in 4 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)