to quit (a job), to resign
Amint találtam új állást, felmondok.
I’ll quit as soon as I find a new job.
[As-soon-as found-I new job(acc.), quit-I.]
Felmondott a kollégám, úgyhogy nagyon sok munkám van most.
My colleague quit so I have a lot of work to do.
[Quit the colleague-my, so-that very much work-mine exists now.]
azonnali hatállyal – without notice
állás – job
elbocsát valakit – to lay so. off
felmondás – resignation (from a job, position)
kirúg (valakit) – to fire (someone)
leépítés – downsizing, job cuts
munka – work
Not to be confused with:
mond – to say
elmond – to tell, to give away
kimond – to say sth. out loud
megmond – to say sth. specific
Did you like today’s word? Do you have a favourite memory hook for it or do you get it into your brain in a completely different way? Did we miss something in the explanation?
Share your thoughts, word visualizations or learning tips below in the comments and remember, the more you use a new word, the easier it will stick in your memory!
Wanna learn more?
- FREE Course: The Fast Lane to Understand Hungarian!
- Smart Hungarian Audio Course: Finally Understand Natural, Spoken Hungarian!
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Learn the Hungarian Present Tense (in 30 Minutes)
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Everything You Need to Know about “Meg”
- 23 Awesome Hungarian Words that Don’t Exist in English
- 35 Good Reasons You Should Bother Learning Hungarian
- Learn Hungarian Passively: 8 Ways to integrate Hungarian into your Everyday-Life
- Learn the Hungarian Numbers in 9 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)
- Learn the Hungarian Alphabet in 4 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!