bottom (also in figurative sense)
A pohár alján még maradt egy kis ital.
There’s a bit of the drink left on the bottom of the glass.
[The glass bottom-on yet stayed a little drink.]
Ez mindennek a legalja.
Thats the bottom of the barrel.
[This everything-for the bottomest.]
tető – top, roof
csészealj – saucer
fenék – another word for bottom (e.g. the bottom of the lake would be “fenék”)
Not to be confused with:
Állj – Stop!, Freeze!
aljas – devious, sneaky
Did you like today’s word? Do you have a favourite memory hook for it or do you get it into your brain in a completely different way? Did we miss something in the explanation?
Share your thoughts, word visualizations or learning tips below in the comments and remember, the more you use a new word, the easier it will stick in your memory!
Wanna learn more?
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Learn the Hungarian Present Tense (in 30 Minutes)
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Everything You Need to Know about “Meg”
- 23 Awesome Hungarian Words that Don’t Exist in English
- 35 Good Reasons You Should Bother Learning Hungarian
- Learn Hungarian Passively: 8 Ways to integrate Hungarian into your Everyday-Life
- Learn the Hungarian Numbers in 9 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)
- Learn the Hungarian Alphabet in 4 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)