awkward, embarrassing (colloq.)
Nagyon ciki volt ez a beszélgetés.
This conversation was relly awkward.
[Very awkward was this the conversation.]
Nagyon ciki lesz, ha elfelejtem a szöveget.
It’ll be really awkward if I forget my text.
[Very awkward will-be, if away-forget-I the text-my.]
elpirul / elvörösödik – to turn red
cinkes – another (even more colloq.) word for awkward, embarrassing
égés / égő – another word for awkward, embarrassing (literally: burn, burning)
kellemetlen – unpleasant, awkward, inconvenient
kínos – another word for embarrassing
Not to be confused with:
cigi – short for cigarette (i.e. cigarette)
Did you like today’s word? Do you have a favourite memory hook for it or do you get it into your brain in a completely different way? Did we miss something in the explanation?
Share your thoughts, word visualizations or learning tips below in the comments and remember, the more you use a new word, the easier it will stick in your memory!
Wanna learn more?
- FREE Course: The Fast Lane to Understand Hungarian!
- Smart Hungarian Audio Course: Finally Understand Natural, Spoken Hungarian!
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Learn the Hungarian Present Tense (in 30 Minutes)
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Everything You Need to Know about “Meg”
- 23 Awesome Hungarian Words that Don’t Exist in English
- 35 Good Reasons You Should Bother Learning Hungarian
- Learn Hungarian Passively: 8 Ways to integrate Hungarian into your Everyday-Life
- Learn the Hungarian Numbers in 9 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)
- Learn the Hungarian Alphabet in 4 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)