Used a lot more often and more colloquially, than in English.
Elvileg úgy volt, hogy holnap találkozunk
Principally that-way was, that tomorrow meet-we.
[Principally] we were supposed to meet tomorrow. (Putting “principally” in brackets, because it doesn’t sound natural to add it to the English sentence, but it is very natural in Hungarian.)
Elvileg mégse megyünk holnap úszni.
Principally not-after-all go-we tomorrow to-swim.
[Principally] it looks like we’re not going swimming tomorrow after all.
elv – principle, maxime, doctrine
elméletileg – theoretically – used in a similar, colloquial way, as “elvileg”
erkölcs – moral, ethics
gyakorlatilag – practically, in practice
Did you like today’s word? Do you have a favourite memory hook for it or do you get it into your brain in a completely different way? Did we miss something in the explanation?
Share your thoughts, word visualizations or learning tips below in the comments and remember, the more you use a new word, the easier it will stick in your memory!
Wanna learn more?
- FREE Course: The Fast Lane to Understand Hungarian!
- Smart Hungarian Audio Course: Finally Understand Natural, Spoken Hungarian!
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Learn the Hungarian Present Tense (in 30 Minutes)
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Everything You Need to Know about “Meg”
- 23 Awesome Hungarian Words that Don’t Exist in English
- 35 Good Reasons You Should Bother Learning Hungarian
- Learn Hungarian Passively: 8 Ways to integrate Hungarian into your Everyday-Life
- Learn the Hungarian Numbers in 9 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)
- Learn the Hungarian Alphabet in 4 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)