Szólj rám, ha hangosan énekelek. – A famous song from Hungarian band “LGT” that you can listen to right below.
Let me know if I sing too loudly.
[Tell-you! on-me, if loudly sing-I.]
Nem érdekel, hogy hogy énekelsz.
I don’t care how you sing.
[Not interest-me, that how sing-ypu]
énekes – singer
sztár – superstar
“Megasztár” – the name of the Hungarian equivalent to America’s got talent (with singers only) or the German “Deutschland sucht den Superstar”.
dal / ének – song (used rather with traditional stuff, like folk songs than with current pop culture)
szám – song (but also: number). This is the word to use for a song of Amy Winehouse or even Justin Bieber.
kotta – musical score
kívülről – by heart (but also: “from the outside”)
előad / előadás – to perform / performance
mikrofon – microphone
Not to be confused with:
érdekel – to interest
Did you like today’s word? Do you have a favourite memory hook for it or do you get it into your brain in a completely different way? Did we miss something in the explanation?
Share your thoughts, word visualizations or learning tips below in the comments and remember, the more you use a new word, the easier it will stick in your memory!
Wanna learn more?
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Learn the Hungarian Present Tense (in 30 Minutes)
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Everything You Need to Know about “Meg”
- 23 Awesome Hungarian Words that Don’t Exist in English
- 35 Good Reasons You Should Bother Learning Hungarian
- Learn Hungarian Passively: 8 Ways to integrate Hungarian into your Everyday-Life
- Learn the Hungarian Numbers in 9 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)
- Learn the Hungarian Alphabet in 4 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)