root (also in a figurative sense)
and also: a complete moron
Azért tanulok magyarul, mert keresem a magyar gyökereim.
I’m learning Hungarian because I want to connect with my Hungarian roots.
[That’s-why learn-I Hungarian, because search-I the Hungarian roots-my.]
A fák a gyökereiken keresztül táplálkoznak.
Trees nourish themselves through their roots.
[The trees root-theirs-on through nourish-they.]
Ne legyél már ekkora gyökér!
C’mon, don’t be such a moron!
[Not be-you! please this-big moron!]
fa – tree
családfa – family tree
talaj – soil
eredet – origin
felmenő / előd – ancestor
Did you like today’s word? Do you have a favourite memory hook for it or do you get it into your brain in a completely different way? Did we miss something in the explanation?
Share your thoughts, word visualizations or learning tips below in the comments and remember, the more you use a new word, the easier it will stick in your memory!
Wanna learn more?
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Learn the Hungarian Present Tense (in 30 Minutes)
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Everything You Need to Know about “Meg”
- 23 Awesome Hungarian Words that Don’t Exist in English
- 35 Good Reasons You Should Bother Learning Hungarian
- Learn Hungarian Passively: 8 Ways to integrate Hungarian into your Everyday-Life
- Learn the Hungarian Numbers in 9 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)
- Learn the Hungarian Alphabet in 4 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)