to allow, to let, to yield
Anyukám nem akar ma elengedni.
Mother-my not wants today to-away-allow-me.
My mom doesn’t allow me to go tonight.
Nem engedem, hogy befolyásolj.
Not let-I, that influence-you-me.
I won’t let you influence me.
Okos enged, szamár szenved. (Hungarian saying)
Smart yields, donkey suffers.
The smart one yields and the fool donkey suffers.
beenged – to let in
elenged – to let go
elgyengül – to become weak (fig.)
ellenállás – resistance
ellenez – to be against sth.
engedelem – permission
engedelmes – obedient, submissive
hagy – to let
kienged – to let out
megenged – to allow
Did you like today’s word? Do you have a favourite memory hook for it or do you get it into your brain in a completely different way? Did we miss something in the explanation?
Share your thoughts, word visualizations or learning tips below in the comments and remember, the more you use a new word, the easier it will stick in your memory!
Wanna learn more?
- FREE Course: The Fast Lane to Understand Hungarian!
- Smart Hungarian Audio Course: Finally Understand Natural, Spoken Hungarian!
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: The 10 Most Important Hungarian Verbs (and how to Use them)
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Learn the Hungarian Present Tense (in 30 Minutes)
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Everything You Need to Know about “Meg”
- 23 Awesome Hungarian Words that Don’t Exist in English
- 35 Good Reasons You Should Bother Learning Hungarian
- Learn Hungarian Passively: 8 Ways to integrate Hungarian into your Everyday-Life
- Learn the Hungarian Numbers in 9 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)
- Learn the Hungarian Alphabet in 4 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)