Gyere ide, hadd öleljelek meg!
Come here, let me hug you!
[Come-you(imp.) here-to, allow-me hug-should-I-you!]
Röviden megöleltük egymást, de semmi más nem történt.
We hugged each other briefly, but nothing else happened.
[Briefly hugged-we each-other, but nothing other not happened.]
átölel – to put one’s arm around someone
csókol / megcsókol – to kiss someone (b/w lovers) (csók = kiss on the mouth, usually b/w lovers)
ölel – to hug, but in a more general, permanent sense. For the usual, brief hugging you would use “megölel”.
puszil / megpuszil – to give someone a (brief) kiss on the cheek (puszi = kiss on the cheek)
szeretget / megszeretget – to show someone physical affection (to hug, kuddle, kiss, so.)
vonzalom – attraction, appeal, allurement
Not to be confused with:
megöl – to kill (big difference!)
Did you like today’s word? Do you have a favourite memory hook for it or do you get it into your brain in a completely different way? Did we miss something in the explanation?
Share your thoughts, word visualizations or learning tips below in the comments and remember, the more you use a new word, the easier it will stick in your memory!
Wanna learn more?
- FREE Course: The Fast Lane to Understand Hungarian!
- Smart Hungarian Audio Course: Finally Understand Natural, Spoken Hungarian!
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Learn the Hungarian Present Tense (in 30 Minutes)
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Everything You Need to Know about “Meg”
- 23 Awesome Hungarian Words that Don’t Exist in English
- 35 Good Reasons You Should Bother Learning Hungarian
- Learn Hungarian Passively: 8 Ways to integrate Hungarian into your Everyday-Life
- Learn the Hungarian Numbers in 9 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)
- Learn the Hungarian Alphabet in 4 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)