generous (literally: big-soul; someone with a big soul: nagy = big, lélek = soul)
A nagymamámnak nincs sok pénze, de ettől függetlenül nagyon nagylelkű.
The grandma-mine-for not-exists a-lot money-hers, but this-from independently very generous.
My grandma doesn’t have a lot of money but she’s very generous regardless.
Fel akartam mondani, de a főnököm tett egy nagylelkű ajánlatot.
Up wanted-I to say, but the boss-my made a generous offer. (to up-say(felmond) = to quit)
I wanted to quit but my boss made a generous offer.
ad – to give
adakozik – to donate
ajánlat – offer
fukar – tight-fisted
irigy – jealous, envious
kapzsi – greedy
készséges – eager, willing
lelkiismeret – conscience (literally: to know your soul, the knowing of the soul)
lélek – soul
nagy – big
segít – to help
Did you like today’s word? Do you have a favourite memory hook for it or do you get it into your brain in a completely different way? Did we miss something in the explanation?
Share your thoughts, word visualizations or learning tips below in the comments and remember, the more you use a new word, the easier it will stick in your memory!
Wanna learn more?
- FREE Course: The Fast Lane to Understand Hungarian!
- Smart Hungarian Audio Course: Finally Understand Natural, Spoken Hungarian!
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Learn the Hungarian Present Tense (in 30 Minutes)
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Everything You Need to Know about “Meg”
- 23 Awesome Hungarian Words that Don’t Exist in English
- 35 Good Reasons You Should Bother Learning Hungarian
- Learn Hungarian Passively: 8 Ways to integrate Hungarian into your Everyday-Life
- Learn the Hungarian Numbers in 9 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)
- Learn the Hungarian Alphabet in 4 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)