to grow & to increase (verb)
Nő also means “woman”.
NO woman no grow ☺
Évröl évre nő a fizetésem.
My salary increases from year to year.
[Year-from year-on grows the salary-my.]
Nagyon nehezen nő meg a hajam, mert mindig eltöredezik.
It’s very hard to grow my hair because I always get split hair ends.
[Very hard-on grows for-good the hair-my, because always away-breaks.]
növeszt – to grow sth. actively (e.g. a plant or your hear.)
növekszik – to grow steadily
csökken – to decrease
Did you like today’s word? Do you have a favourite memory hook for it or do you get it into your brain in a completely different way? Did we miss something in the explanation?
Share your thoughts, word visualizations or learning tips below in the comments and remember, the more you use a new word, the easier it will stick in your memory!
Wanna learn more?
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Learn the Hungarian Present Tense (in 30 Minutes)
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Everything You Need to Know about “Meg”
- 23 Awesome Hungarian Words that Don’t Exist in English
- 35 Good Reasons You Should Bother Learning Hungarian
- Learn Hungarian Passively: 8 Ways to integrate Hungarian into your Everyday-Life
- Learn the Hungarian Numbers in 9 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)
- Learn the Hungarian Alphabet in 4 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)