Nb. in Hungarian you “hold” (tart) a break, instead of taking one.
Tartsunk egy szünetet, utána folytatjuk.
Hold-shall-we a break(acc.), afterwards continue-we.
Let’s take a break and continue afterwards.
Szünet nélkül dolgozom reggel hat óta.
Break without work-I morning six since.
I’ve been working without a break since 6 in the morning.
abbamarad – to pause, to halt
adásszünet – non-transmission period, send pause
ebédszünet – lunch break
ideiglenes – temporary
iskolaszünet – school holidays
nyári / téli / tavaszi szünet – summer / winter / spring break
pihen – to relax, to rest
pihenés – relaxation, rest (n.)
szünidő – holidays (mostly school-)
szünnap – bank holiday, day off (official)
Not to be confused with:
szűnik / megszűnik – to cease
Did you like today’s word? Do you have a favourite memory hook for it or do you get it into your brain in a completely different way? Did we miss something in the explanation?
Share your thoughts, word visualizations or learning tips below in the comments and remember, the more you use a new word, the easier it will stick in your memory!
Wanna learn more?
- FREE Course: The Fast Lane to Understand Hungarian!
- Smart Hungarian Audio Course: Finally Understand Natural, Spoken Hungarian!
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: The 10 Most Important Hungarian Verbs (and how to Use them)
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Learn the Hungarian Present Tense (in 30 Minutes)
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Everything You Need to Know about “Meg”
- 23 Awesome Hungarian Words that Don’t Exist in English
- 35 Good Reasons You Should Bother Learning Hungarian
- Learn Hungarian Passively: 8 Ways to integrate Hungarian into your Everyday-Life
- Learn the Hungarian Numbers in 9 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)
- Learn the Hungarian Alphabet in 4 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)