ügy = case
véd = protect, defend
Az ördög ügyvédje vagyok.
I’m the devil’s advocate.
[The devil advocate-its am-I.]
A ház eladását ügyvéddel intézték az örökösök.
The heirs hired a lawyer for selling the house.
[The house selling-its(acc.) lawyer-with handled-they the heirs.]
ügy – case, matter
véd – protect, defend
bíró – judge
bíróság – court
bűnös – villain, criminal (n.), culprit, guilty party, sinner
bűn – sin
Did you like today’s word? Do you have a favourite memory hook for it or do you get it into your brain in a completely different way? Did we miss something in the explanation?
Share your thoughts, word visualizations or learning tips below in the comments and remember, the more you use a new word, the easier it will stick in your memory!
Wanna learn more?
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Learn the Hungarian Present Tense (in 30 Minutes)
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Everything You Need to Know about “Meg”
- 23 Awesome Hungarian Words that Don’t Exist in English
- 35 Good Reasons You Should Bother Learning Hungarian
- Learn Hungarian Passively: 8 Ways to integrate Hungarian into your Everyday-Life
- Learn the Hungarian Numbers in 9 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)
- Learn the Hungarian Alphabet in 4 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)