Desire, longing (n.), craving (n.)
A vágy sokszor erősebb, mint az ész.
Desire is often stronger than reason.
[The desire often stronger, than the reason..]
Nagyon vágyom most egy csirkepaprikásra.
I’m really craving a Chicken Paprikash now.
[Very(adv.) crave-I now a Chicken-Paprikash-on.]
elvágyódás – the desire to get away from where you currently are in time and / or space (see also our 23 awesome Hungarian words that don’t exist in English)
étvágy – appetite (literally: food-desire)
honvágy – homesickness (literally: home-desire)
kíván / kívánság – to wish / wish (n.)
tudásvágy – thirst for knowledge (literally: knowledge-desire)
vágyálom – idle wish (literally: desire-dream)
vágyik (valamire) – to desire (sth.) to long for (sth.), to crave (sth.)
Not to be confused with:
Vagy – you are & or
Did you like today’s word? Do you have a favourite memory hook for it or do you get it into your brain in a completely different way? Did we miss something in the explanation?
Share your thoughts, word visualizations or learning tips below in the comments and remember, the more you use a new word, the easier it will stick in your memory!
Wanna learn more?
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Learn the Hungarian Present Tense (in 30 Minutes)
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Everything You Need to Know about “Meg”
- 23 Awesome Hungarian Words that Don’t Exist in English
- 35 Good Reasons You Should Bother Learning Hungarian
- Learn Hungarian Passively: 8 Ways to integrate Hungarian into your Everyday-Life
- Learn the Hungarian Numbers in 9 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)
- Learn the Hungarian Alphabet in 4 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)