To scratch (something itchy)
Vigyázz, hogy ne vakard el a sebeidet!
Be careful not to scratch your wounds open.
[Careful-be-you(imp.), that not scratch-you(imp.) away the wounds-yours(acc.)!.)]
A szúnyogcsípést muszáj megvakarni, annyira viszket.
You simply have to scratch a mosquito bite, as it itches so much.
[The mosquito-bite(acc.) obligatory scratch, so-much itches.]
kapar – another word for “to scratch”, but cannot be used for scratching itches.
seb – wound
viszket – to itch
csípés – sting, bite (insect)
szúnyog – mosquito
köröm – nail (finger- & toe-nails)
Not to be confused with:
akar – to want
Did you like today’s word? Do you have a favourite memory hook for it or do you get it into your brain in a completely different way? Did we miss something in the explanation?
Share your thoughts, word visualizations or learning tips below in the comments and remember, the more you use a new word, the easier it will stick in your memory!
Wanna learn more?
- FREE Course: The Fast Lane to Understand Hungarian!
- Smart Hungarian Audio Course: Finally Understand Natural, Spoken Hungarian!
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Learn the Hungarian Present Tense (in 30 Minutes)
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Everything You Need to Know about “Meg”
- 23 Awesome Hungarian Words that Don’t Exist in English
- 35 Good Reasons You Should Bother Learning Hungarian
- Learn Hungarian Passively: 8 Ways to integrate Hungarian into your Everyday-Life
- Learn the Hungarian Numbers in 9 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)
- Learn the Hungarian Alphabet in 4 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)