AWAREness of blood donation is uncommon in society.
Tegnap elestem a biciklivel és vérzett a lábam.
Yesterday I fell with the bike and my leg was bleeding.
[Yesterday fell-I the bike-with and bled the leg-my.]
A vér önmagában még nem jelent bajt.
Blood by itself doesn’t mean anything bad yet.
[The blood itself-in yet not means trouble (acc.).]
vérzik – to bleed
véres – bloody
vörös – dark red (Hungarian has two words for red: “piros” and “vörös”. “Piros” is mostly used for happier, lighter things (ball, pen, the colour in the flag, apple), while “vörös” is used for darker ones (blood, the Red Army, the Red Star (symbol of communism)).
seb – wound
ér – vein
elvérzik – to bleed to death
vérengzés – rage, bloody deed
Not to be confused with:
ver – to beat
Did you like today’s word? Do you have a favourite memory hook for it or do you get it into your brain in a completely different way? Did we miss something in the explanation?
Share your thoughts, word visualizations or learning tips below in the comments and remember, the more you use a new word, the easier it will stick in your memory!
Wanna learn more?
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Learn the Hungarian Present Tense (in 30 Minutes)
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Everything You Need to Know about “Meg”
- 23 Awesome Hungarian Words that Don’t Exist in English
- 35 Good Reasons You Should Bother Learning Hungarian
- Learn Hungarian Passively: 8 Ways to integrate Hungarian into your Everyday-Life
- Learn the Hungarian Numbers in 9 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)
- Learn the Hungarian Alphabet in 4 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)