countryside, land, region
in Hungary: Everything that’s not Budapest – an often pejorative description of the rest of the country used by Budapestians
On the countryside they still use VIDEO Cassettes.
Vidéken születtem, de Pesten élek miota elkezdtem egyetemre járni.
I was born on the countryside but I live in Pest (i.e. Budapest) since I started university.
[Countryside-on born-was-I, but Pest-on live-I since started university-on go-I.]
A Budapestieknek Pesten kívül az egész ország vidék
For Budapestians everything is a just a countryside, except for Budapest.
[Budapestians-for Pest-on except the whole country countryside.]
vidéki – a person from the countryside (for Budapestians: not from Budapest)
falu – village
kisváros – small-town
falusi – villager
paraszt – farmer / peasant (but also: swear word used for people who don’t know how to behave)
Did you like today’s word? Do you have a favourite memory hook for it or do you get it into your brain in a completely different way? Did we miss something in the explanation?
Share your thoughts, word visualizations or learning tips below in the comments and remember, the more you use a new word, the easier it will stick in your memory!
Wanna learn more?
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Learn the Hungarian Present Tense (in 30 Minutes)
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Everything You Need to Know about “Meg”
- 23 Awesome Hungarian Words that Don’t Exist in English
- 35 Good Reasons You Should Bother Learning Hungarian
- Learn Hungarian Passively: 8 Ways to integrate Hungarian into your Everyday-Life
- Learn the Hungarian Numbers in 9 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)
- Learn the Hungarian Alphabet in 4 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)