dark red; there are two frequent terms to express red in Hungarian, vörös being one of them. It is mostly (but not always!) used for describing the color of things associated with danger, war or passion, while the other term, piros, is used for more playful items.
A vörös hajú embereknek nagyon fehér a bőrszíne.
The dark-read hair-ish people-for very white the skin-color their.
Redheads have very white skin color.
Vörös volt az ég, amikor lement a nap.
Dark-red was the sky, when down-went the sun.
The sky was dark red when the sun went down.
naplemente – sunset
piros – the other term for red
rózsa – rose
sötétpiros – dark red
veszély – danger
veszélyes – dangerous
vér – blood
vérvörös – blood red
vörösbor – red wine
vöröshardsereg – red army
Did you like today’s word? Do you have a favourite memory hook for it or do you get it into your brain in a completely different way? Did we miss something in the explanation?
Share your thoughts, word visualizations or learning tips below in the comments and remember, the more you use a new word, the easier it will stick in your memory!
Wanna learn more?
- How to Learn Hungarian – The Ultimate Guide
- FREE Course: The Fast Lane to Understand Hungarian!
- Smart Hungarian Audio Course: Finally Understand Natural, Spoken Hungarian!
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: The 10 Most Important Hungarian Verbs (and how to Use them)
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Learn the Hungarian Present Tense (in 30 Minutes)
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Everything You Need to Know about “Meg”
- 23 Awesome Hungarian Words that Don’t Exist in English
- 35 Good Reasons You Should Bother Learning Hungarian
- Learn Hungarian Passively: 8 Ways to integrate Hungarian into your Everyday-Life
- Learn the Hungarian Numbers in 9 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)
- Learn the Hungarian Alphabet in 4 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)