to use, to work (i.e. to have an impact (e.g. medicine))
Van egy csomó applikáció a telefonomon, de alig használom valamelyiket.
Exists a knot (i.e. bunch) app the phone-my-on, but hardly use-I some-of-it(acc.).
I have a bunch of apps on my phone but I hardly use any of them.
Sajnos nem használt a gyógyszer a fejfájásom ellen.
Unfortunately not worked the medicine the headache-mine against.
Unfortunately the medicine didn’t work against my headache.
alkalmaz – to apply
használhatatlan – unusable
haszontalan – useless (also used for people)
hasznos – useful
hasznosít valamit – to make use of sth.
igénybe vesz valamit – another term for “to make use of sth.”
kihasznál valamit / valakit – to take advantage of sth. / so.
Did you like today’s word? Do you have a favourite memory hook for it or do you get it into your brain in a completely different way? Did we miss something in the explanation?
Share your thoughts, word visualizations or learning tips below in the comments and remember, the more you use a new word, the easier it will stick in your memory!
Wanna learn more?
- FREE Course: The Fast Lane to Understand Hungarian!
- Smart Hungarian Audio Course: Finally Understand Natural, Spoken Hungarian!
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Learn the Hungarian Present Tense (in 30 Minutes)
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Everything You Need to Know about “Meg”
- 23 Awesome Hungarian Words that Don’t Exist in English
- 35 Good Reasons You Should Bother Learning Hungarian
- Learn Hungarian Passively: 8 Ways to integrate Hungarian into your Everyday-Life
- Learn the Hungarian Numbers in 9 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)
- Learn the Hungarian Alphabet in 4 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)