A foci a világ leghíresebb labdajátéka.
Soccer is the world’s most famous ball game.
[The soccer the world most-famous ball-game-of.]
A legtöbb csapatsporthoz tartozik egy labda.
Most team sports involve a ball.
[The most teamsport-to belongs a ball.]
labdázik – to play with a ball
labdajáték – ball game
kerek – round
gurul – to roll
pattog – to bounce (when a ball bounces)
laszti – colloq. for ball
gumilabda – rubber ball
focilabda – football (the ball itself)
kézilabda – handball (the sport + the ball)
teniszlabda – tennis ball
pingponglabda – table tennis ball
kosárlabda – basketball (the sport + the ball)
gól – goal (sports)
rúg – to kick
dob – to throw (but also: drum)
pattogtat – to dribble
vízilabda – water polo / water polo ball
tollaslabda – badminton & shuttlecock
Did you like today’s word? Do you have a favourite memory hook for it or do you get it into your brain in a completely different way? Did we miss something in the explanation?
Share your thoughts, word visualizations or learning tips below in the comments and remember, the more you use a new word, the easier it will stick in your memory!
Wanna learn more?
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Learn the Hungarian Present Tense (in 30 Minutes)
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Everything You Need to Know about “Meg”
- 23 Awesome Hungarian Words that Don’t Exist in English
- 35 Good Reasons You Should Bother Learning Hungarian
- Learn Hungarian Passively: 8 Ways to integrate Hungarian into your Everyday-Life
- Learn the Hungarian Numbers in 9 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)
- Learn the Hungarian Alphabet in 4 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)