Nem merek éjszaka egyedül kimenni az utcára.
I don’t dare to be out on the streets at night alone.
[Not dare-I night alone to-out-go the street-on.]
Aki mer, az nyer!
Who dares wins!
[Who dares, that wins!.]
bátor – brave
gyáva – cowardly, gutless
kockázat – risk (kocka = dice)
kockáztat – to risk
rizikó – another word for risk
szerencse – luck
vakmerő – bold, reckless
Not to be confused with:
mert – because
mér – to measure, to scale, to weigh
Did you like today’s word? Do you have a favourite memory hook for it or do you get it into your brain in a completely different way? Did we miss something in the explanation?
Share your thoughts, word visualizations or learning tips below in the comments and remember, the more you use a new word, the easier it will stick in your memory!
Wanna learn more?
- FREE Course: The Fast Lane to Understand Hungarian!
- Smart Hungarian Audio Course: Finally Understand Natural, Spoken Hungarian!
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Learn the Hungarian Present Tense (in 30 Minutes)
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Everything You Need to Know about “Meg”
- 23 Awesome Hungarian Words that Don’t Exist in English
- 35 Good Reasons You Should Bother Learning Hungarian
- Learn Hungarian Passively: 8 Ways to integrate Hungarian into your Everyday-Life
- Learn the Hungarian Numbers in 9 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)
- Learn the Hungarian Alphabet in 4 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)