to save up, to save money, to scrimp on sth.,
Nem megyek ma a vacsorára, hanem inkább othon főzök valamit, mert próbálok spórolni.
I’m not going to the dinner tonight but will rather cook, because I’m trying to save money.
[Not go-I today the dinner-on, but rather at-home cook-I something(acc.), because try-I to-save.]
Az egészségen nem érdemes spórolni.
It’s not worth scrimping on your health.
[The health-on not worthwhile to-scrimp.]
A húgom egy autóra spórol.
My sister is saving up for a car.
[The younger-sister-my a car-on saves.]
félretesz – to put aside
költ – to spend (money)
malacpersely – piggybank
megtakarítás / megtakarított pénz – savings
spórol valamire – to save up for sth. specific
takarékkönyv – savings account
Did you like today’s word? Do you have a favourite memory hook for it or do you get it into your brain in a completely different way? Did we miss something in the explanation?
Share your thoughts, word visualizations or learning tips below in the comments and remember, the more you use a new word, the easier it will stick in your memory!
Wanna learn more?
- FREE Course: The Fast Lane to Understand Hungarian!
- Smart Hungarian Audio Course: Finally Understand Natural, Spoken Hungarian!
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Learn the Hungarian Present Tense (in 30 Minutes)
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Everything You Need to Know about “Meg”
- 23 Awesome Hungarian Words that Don’t Exist in English
- 35 Good Reasons You Should Bother Learning Hungarian
- Learn Hungarian Passively: 8 Ways to integrate Hungarian into your Everyday-Life
- Learn the Hungarian Numbers in 9 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)
- Learn the Hungarian Alphabet in 4 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)
I’ve only started using this site today, but I can see already this is one of the best sites out there for learning Hungarian.
thank you for the compliment, we are very happy that you like our site! 🙂
Just let us know if you have questions, feedback, remarks, etc.
Have a great day!